1296 - 1850
It is documented that in 1246 Geoffrey de Wyrkithele, lord of the manor of Worsley, held the hamlet of Stannistreet. This consisted of the land from where the Stocks Hotel now stands, east to Whittlebrook, northwest to Toppings Bridge and back south down Bolton Road. It would have been a wild and lonely place in those days. Where Walkden Station now stands was then known as Wolfpit Greaves, the name indicates the presence of wolves in the area.
Agriculture remained the main occupation until the process of industrialisation began. The area was sparsely populated with small, isolated groups or “folds” of cottages, often named after the occupant. Some names, such as Edge Fold, Parr Fold, and Magnalls Fold have survived, others like Leyland Fold and Barley Fold have disappeared.

                           Edge Fold

1760 -1850
In 1768 the common land of Walkden Moor was enclosed, the Duke of Bridgewater adding 180 acres to his estate.
The construction of the Bridgewater Canal and the underground canal, which reached Walkden about 1770, led to the development of mining in Walkden, new shafts were sunk and the Boatshed Yard built. Skilled labour had to be brought into the district to work into the mines, mainly from Staffordshire and Shropshire. To house them the estate built rows of terraced cottages, mainly north of Manchester Road, which acquired names. Tupp Row, Half Crown Row, Whitehouses, Drill Row, Treacle Row and Barracks all dated from the second half of the eighteenth century. 

                             Half Crown Row
During the early 1800’s there was little further development, the financial and legal restraints placed on the Trustees under the Duke of Bridgewater’s will restricted building or the sale of land. The resulting problems of over crowding were not to improve until the 1850’s.